Steven W. Benintendi
- Practice Group Leader, Mechanical/Aerospace
Steve Benintendi is an intellectual property attorney and Partner at Wood Herron & Evans, serving U.S. and international clients’ IP needs for over 18 years. Steve’s intellectual property legal expertise includes the preparation and prosecution of domestic and international patent applications, trademark and copyright registration, IP enforcement, client counseling, legal opinions, and strategic planning. Steve is the Practice Group Leader for the Mechanical/Aerospace Patent Prosecution practice group within the firm.
With a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, Steve’s understanding of high level, complex mechanical devices gives his clients assurance they are partnering with an IP attorney capable of understanding their technical and business needs. Steve concentrates his practice primarily in the area of mechanical technologies, including green energy, medical devices, child toys and vehicles, dispensing systems, and home goods. Steve has procured hundreds of utility and design patents both domestically and around the world. He has extensive experience in handling in-bound European-drafted applications for prosecution before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Steve brings a pragmatic, down-to-earth approach to intellectual property with an eye toward serving the greater business objectives and understanding the available resources. His approach is to operate not as an outside vendor or service provider, but as a contributing team member utilizing intellectual property to achieve positive business outcomes.
Prior to receiving his law degree, Steve worked as a Post-doctorate Fellow in the Biomedical Engineering Department at the University of Michigan. Steve was also an adjunct professor for the Department of Mechanical Engineering and the Department of Mathematics at the University of Dayton. Steve also knows what it means to own and operate a small business, having done so with a martial art studio for over eleven years.
Wood Herron & Evans’ depth of knowledge and experience is unparalleled in the local, regional, and national markets. As a boutique intellectual property firm, Wood Herron & Evans offers clients 150+ years of IP expertise and serves a wide range of clients, from individual inventors to multinational corporations, across a spectrum of technologies and a broad range of IP services (patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade dress, publicity, opinion work, privacy, etc).
Areas of Practice
- Post Grant Options
- Preparation and Prosecution of domestic and international patent applications
- Biomedical patents, mechanical patents, design patents
- Trademark and copyright registration
- Licensing of IP
- IP enforcement
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- University of Dayton School of Law, Dayton, Ohio
- J.D. - 2003
- Honors: cum laude
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering - 1999
- University of Dayton
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering - 1992
- University of Dayton
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering - 1991
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Past adjunct professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering and the Department of Mathematics at the University of Dayton
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Cincinnati Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Biomedical Engineering Department at the University of Michigan, Post-doctorate Fellow