Kurt A. Summe
- Practice Group Leader, Electrical/Software
Kurt A. Summe is a Partner with Wood, Herron & Evans and is involved in all phases of the firm's intellectual property practice, including domestic and international patent and trademark areas. A specialist in the areas of patent procurement, licensing, enforcement, infringement evaluation and avoidance, and counseling. Kurt focuses on electrical, e-commerce and electronic technologies, including business methodologies, as well as handling various mechanical technologies. Prior to practicing law, he worked in the telecommunications industry with a satellite communications company.
Admitted to the Ohio bar in 1991 and to both the U.S. District Courts- Southern District Of Ohio and Central District of Illinois in 1992 , Kurt is also registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Kurt received a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Cincinnati in 1988. He then obtained his Juris Doctor degree from The University of Cincinnati Law School in 1991. He joined Wood, Herron & Evans in 1991.
He is an active member of the American, Ohio and Cincinnati Bar Associations, as well as the American and Cincinnati Intellectual Property Law Associations. Kurt has been named as one of the Ohio Super Lawyers® Rising Stars by Law and Politics Media. He has also been rated as a AV Preeminent Attorney for over 10 years. Kurt currently holds the position of Practice Group Leader for the Electrical/Software Patent Prosecution practice group with the firm. He resides in Lakeside Park, Kentucky, with his wife Jennifer and their five children.
Areas of Practice
- Patents - Procurement, Enforcement, Infringement Evaluation and Avoidance, Licensing, General Counseling
- Software/Computer/Internet/Business Methodology
- Trademarks - Procurement, Enforcement, Brand Counseling
- Ohio, 1991
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 1992
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 1992
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, Cincinnati, Ohio
- J.D. - 1991
- University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio
- B.S., Bachelor of Science - 1988
- Major: Electrical Engineering
Honors and Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, Ohio Rising Stars, Law and Politics Media
- Rated as an AV Preeminent Attorney for over 10 years by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Cincinnati Intellectual Property Law Association